Do You Need a Place of Assembly Certificate of Operation?

If you are planning on holding an indoor gathering of 75 people or more, it may be necessary to get a permit to do so. The same could be true if you are going to have 200 or more people gathering outdoors. Let’s take a look at what a Place of Assembly (PA) Certificate of Operation is and why you may need it.

Do You Need This Type of Certificate?

A certificate may be needed regardless of why you are planning to have a large group of people gathering in one place. Without it, you may not be able to have your high school reunion, political rally or other public events. Even if you are under the 75 or 200 person threshold, it may not be possible to serve refreshments without proper authorization.

Does the Certificate to Operate Expire?

Once you get the certificate, it generally doesn’t expire, but you may be subject to annual inspections by the fire department. However, if you aren’t planning on having your event on a regular basis, it may not matter if you let it expire because of a lack of a fire safety inspection. If you are planning on holding regular events, it is important to have the inspection done in a timely manner as it can reduce your liability in the event that anyone is hurt.

Help Is Available If You Need It

If you have questions about whether you need a NYC Certificate to Operate, you can ask local government officials. It may also be possible to consult with an attorney or anyone else who may be knowledgeable about city requirements. This may help you avoid a situation where your event is cancelled or postponed because of a technicality.