How to Handle a Gas Leak

Carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide can be hazardous to your health if you are exposed to it for too long. While you cannot smell carbon monoxide directly, your utility company may include substances that will give off a putrid odor if there is a leak. Generally speaking, if you smell rotten eggs in your home, there is a good chance that there is a gas leak that needs to be fixed right away.

The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide and Dioxide

Both carbon monoxide and dioxide can reduce the amount of oxygen that is available to breathe. Without sufficient oxygen, it may become harder to breathe, and you may lose consciousness over a long enough period of time. If you don’t find a source of fresh air soon enough, it is possible to die from exposure to these gasses. Signs of carbon monoxide or dioxide poisoning include nausea, headaches and vomiting.

Don’t Try to Diagnose the Problem Yourself

While it may be tempting to try to find the source of a gas leak yourself, it is not worth the harm that it can do to your health. If you know where the gas valve is located, turn it off or have someone do it for you as soon as possible. From there, call for help either from your yard, a neighbor’s house or another location that is not your home. A NYC oil and gas inspection company may be called to diagnose the issue and make any needed repairs.

Seek Medical Treatment

If you have any problems breathing or sleeping, it could be related to gas exposure, and you should seek medical treatment as soon as possible. The same is true if you notice any other changes to your mental or physical health as they could be directly or indirectly caused by exposure to harmful materials.